Coffee is my lover in the morning. So until our lips meet, mommy is off the clock. I can't hear you, I can't see you and I can't comprehend you, until I have my coffee!

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Creamy Chicken Alfredo

So i made one of my most favorites of my mom's recipes. My mom was a single mother with at least 2 jobs, so she was brilliant at making recipes that were quick and cheap but tasty! This is my #2! (Gumbo is at the top!)
This recipe won't cost you more then $15! And that's feeding six. I plan my weekly dinner budget around $10 a dinner for my family of six. So if you see recipes here, then they are around the $10 mark. Awesome right?! Now on with the deliciousness....

What you will need:
  • 1lb chicken breast or tenders (i usually get tenders because they are usually the cheapest and i like that they are trimmed already and it is easier to cut into bite-size pieces. If you find breasts on sale, get those and use your scissors to cut into bite-size)
  • Angel hair pasta (i use this because i have a noodle complex. I like them super skinny. you can use fettucini or your favorite)
  • 2 jars of Ragu cheesy roasted garlic parmesean sauce
  • mushrooms(i sometimes use steamed broccoli)

How to cook it:

Start by boiling a big pot of water that you'll need for your noodles. Then coat your sautee pan with a little oil and set burner to medium. Place your chicken inside and sprinkle some Season all, pepper and onion powder evenly over the chicken. Do the same when you flip them over. But not until the bottom side turns white.  They are done when nice and browned and all white inside. Cut into bite-sized pieces and set to low.

Now if you want the mushrooms with it, which i highly suggest, here's how you cook them. I buy the mushrooms not in the packaging bc i like them sliced thinly and they are cheaper buying them this way. I get about 7 medium or large ones-but that is because we love them here! (Yes, even my kids eat them! They are that good!) 
 * Put 5 tbs of butter in a sautee pan. Put your mushrooms in and sprinkle in about 1 Tbs of the following: onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and a dash of garlic salt. You just want to coat the mushrooms in this. The powder is what sticks to it and makes it almost a candied mushroom..Mmm! Sautee this on medium and stir every 5 mintues until bubbly. Then set it on low until everything is done.


 Now you should be able to place your noodles in the pot. I use half of a box and it is plenty for 5 people. It won't take long for angel hair to cook, about ten mintues i'd say. Drain and return to the pot. Then you want to dump out the sauce into a saucepan and warm it on medium low. Stir often because you do no want to scorch the bottom of this liquid goodness! Once it is warmed up, you are ready to eat!
So good it's addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh so you have a comment? Leave it here! :)