Coffee is my lover in the morning. So until our lips meet, mommy is off the clock. I can't hear you, I can't see you and I can't comprehend you, until I have my coffee!

Monday, September 30, 2013

We are homeschooling this year!

I am so proud to exclaim that we are homeschooling this year! It took many prayers, advice from supportive friends, and straight-up courage to proceed with something that has always been in the back of my head. I thought, how can I teach my kids? I don't have a degree in education.. But this year, during the summer months, God planted this seed into my heart. He told me that it IS possible. I can do this!

One Instance of Why I Wanted to Homeschool

In the previous public school year, my son Skyler had many problems with trips to the office. Once, I happened to be visiting my Kindergartner for lunch. I'm looking around for Skyler, who eats at the same time..I can't find him. Finally, I see him coming to lunch much later than the other kids. He comes into the cafeteria with a very sad face. I tried to mouth the words, "What's wrong?" But he just looked down and shook his head. I knew he must have gotten in trouble for something. I watch him grab his lunch tray and walk into the office. He is then instructed by an office staff member to sit at a table located right outside of the principal's office. This is outside of the office and sitting near the cafeteria where everyone can see that you are in trouble. Humiliating right?! I was sadden by this. I wanted to know what was wrong, but I tried to maintain by distance, and just watch what was happening. He struggled with something that he needed opened, looked around, raised his hand, yet no one came to help him. I could have cried right then, but I controlled my emotions and said goodbye to my daughter, who's lunch hour was over. Then I walked over to my son, which was on my way out of the school. I asked him what happened. He shook his head, like he was embarrassed, or perhaps, too afraid to tell me. I encouraged him to tell me, and that I wouldn't be mad. I just wanted to know why he was sitting all alone. He told me, with tears in his eyes, "I got in trouble for flushing a paper towel in the toilet." I'm sorry, but I scoffed here, as I thought this was a silly reason to reprimand my child, take him away from class, make him late for lunch, and have to sit outside of the principal's office. This broke my heart. I could not keep it in anymore. I cried. I hugged him tight and told him that I loved him, and I would see him later. Yes, I wanted to take him home right then. Yes, I also wanted to stomp into that office and demand answers, but I also wanted my son to learn from this, and try to make better decisions on his own. I can't rescue him from every situation. I have to let him make a mistake and fall from it. I know why they did it. Because it could cost the school a lot of money, if that paper towel had clogged the toilet. Why did Skyler do it? Because another boy was doing it. We talked about this later that night and I told him why they got upset with him. I told him that I did not want to see him sitting out there again, because it is sad to Mommy, and it is not good for him to miss his schoolwork.

This was just the icing on the cake, for many other instances that had happened during that school year. He just seems misunderstood at school. He is a wiggly, bouncy, affectionate, precocious, curious boy. But it's okay, Mama gets him 100%. Here at home, he can read his book laying upside-down in his chair. He can wiggle his legs while he works on the computer. If he wants to do math on the dry erase board, instead of his paper-that is OKAY! Why? Because, we homeschool. And there is no one on Earth who knows my children better than I do. Therefore, there is no one who cares about their future, more than I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh so you have a comment? Leave it here! :)